Just to prove my wife wrong, here I am back with my second blog entry.
I've spent most of the last few days watching movies. I've tweeted about them all already so I'll let my tweets give you a quick overview...
sfsuave Deggzie
Just watched The Fighter. Felt a bit like watching Rockstar at times (maybe because Marky Mark always plays Marky Mark?) Enjoyed it anyway tho.
sfsuave Deggzie
The Coen Brothers did not disappoint. True Grit was excellent. Bridges and Damon were great as usual, Hailee Steinfeld was outstanding...
sfsuave Deggzie
Now watching True Grit and, if I'm still awake, will round out the day with The Fighter or Tron Legacy...
sfsuave Deggzie
The Social Network = pretty good, finally a documentary called Small Town Gay Bar = not as good as a @MMFlint doc but still pretty good...
sfsuave Deggzie
Spent most of the last 2 days watching movies, we've had Scott Pilgrim = Awesome - Knight and Day = a different word starting with A...
31/12/2010
Of all the movies I've watched today, I'd have to say the Scott Pilgrim Vs The World was the one I enjoyed most. I'm a fan of Edgar Wright already from the movies he's made with Simon Pegg i.e. Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead. The move to Hollywood seems to have worked well for him and I look forward to seeing more from him. I'd score the movie 9/10.
Least favourite from the bunch would have to be Knight and Day. The movie looked good but was little more than eye candy. The story was a bit naff but it was propped up well enough with action sequences and stunts to make it just about worth watching. This was struggles, but just about gets, to 5/10.
Next up was David Fincher’s The Social Network, the story of the formation of Facebook. It was a pretty good movie overall, maybe a little over-long. I thought Jesse Eisenberg was good, if not quite as good as he had been in Zombieland. The biggest surprise for me was Justin Timberlake, who was way better than I expected. 7/10 for this one.
I followed up these movies was a documentary called Small Town Gay Bar. A View Askew production directed well by Malcolm Ingram. On a quick side note, I’m big fan of View Askew daddy Kevin Smith and really look forward to seeing his new flick Red State when its released later this year (debuts at Sundance on my birthday). The standout moments in the doc were the segments with Fred Phelps, proving once more that bigotry is alive and well in the heart of the US. 6/10.
01/01/2011
Just the two movies last night and I kicked off with a belter, The Coen Brothers True Grit. Outstanding performances all round here. Not for a moment during this movie did I even contemplate looking away, this might not sound like much but, as I watch most things on one PC monitor while browsing or playing cards on the other, it’s quite an achievement. I loved every moment of this film and if I were voting it’d defo get a best picture Oscar nod from me. 9.5/10
I’m not sure if its due to the fact that I loved True Grit so much, that I didn’t enjoy Christian Bale and Mark Wahlburg in The Fighter, as much as I expected to. Christian Bale played the junkie older brother role extremely well but Mark Wahlberg always seems to play the same part. I tweeted that it felt like watching Rockstar at times and I thinks that’s down to the fact that it felt like I was watching the same character, just in a different story. Melissa Leo was also great as the pushy mother, always claiming to love her kids equally while clearly favouring her eldest. 8/10 here but could easily have been more with a more convincing lead than Marky Mark.
Ok, that’ll do it for today I think. I’ve got Tron and Stone lined up to watch at the moment, will comment on them if I get around to watching them tonight (unlikely tho as Sunday is NFL day and the Fifth Ashes test starts tonight too!!)
sf suave
No comments:
Post a Comment